Uber and Lyft are enormous companies that employ drivers nationwide to get riders from one location to another. These companies are responsible for the safety of their drivers and passengers. Sometimes, these companies do not perform thorough background checks. That means that criminals can get through the cracks. These drivers will then hurt passengers. The rideshare company is responsible for handling safety concerns. If you suffer from sexual assault in an Uber or Lyft contact Kwartler Manus, LLC.
What an Uber or Lyft sexual assault attorney can do for you?
You will want a supportive legal team on your side. Kwartler Manus, LLC is empathetic to your situation, and we want to provide you with the emotional and legal support you need. This is a stressful time, and you want an attorney who can alleviate your stress. We want to make the process as smooth as possible. Choose a Philadelphia Uber/Lyft sexual assault attorney that can do the following:
- Communicating with you by answering your calls and providing regular updates
- Deal with the Uber or Lyft company and their insurance company
- File your lawsuit within the relevant timelines
- Investigate and prove the company’s negligence
- Negotiate a settlement and try to avoid trial
- When trial is necessary, we will prepare you and your case and provide support
- Help with the criminal process if you decide to press charges
- Refer you to resources in the area that can provide counseling and support
When you meet with an attorney, they should provide you with these and other support services. Most importantly, you should feel protected when you hire a lawyer. Look for compassion towards your situation.
Liability is complicated
Since these are such large companies, you would assume they would have safeguards to protect themselves and their customers. While these companies have the resources and funds to take action and implement processes, they have yet to find a feasible solution for handling sexual assault cases. They haven’t found a way to prevent sexual assault. Another issue is that both companies hire drivers as independent contractors, contributing to complex liability issues.
Since Uber and Lyft label drivers as independent contractors, they can evade liability in certain situations. Even though they are trying to avoid liability, there are some situations where the driver and the rideshare company can be held responsible, such as in sexual assault cases. For the latest reporting year, there were 100 reported cases of sexual assault reported by passengers. Only 30 individuals were incarcerated for these incidents.
When you should file a personal injury lawsuit
As a sexual assault survivor, you should consider your legal options. You may be able to file a claim against the rideshare driver and their employer. Civil lawsuits have strict statutes. Once they pass, you could lose your ability to pursue legal action. Pennsylvania has two years for personal injury claims. The state is looking into extending the timeline for sexual assault, but until that happens, you have limited time to take action. The times when you should file a personal injury lawsuit for sexual abuse from a rideshare driver include:
- The driver touches a private area of your body without consent
- Assault on someone with a mental disability
- Forcing someone into a sexual act without consent
- Forcing someone into a sexual act when the person is incapacitated
- Using drugs to commit a sexual act
These are a few examples of ways you may experience sexual assault in an Uber or Lyft. It is not an exhaustive list. A Philadelphia Uber/Lyft sexual assault lawyer can explore your legal options.
What you should look for when choosing an attorney
It is a challenging situation to suffer sexual assault. You may be scared or be blaming yourself. You are experiencing a traumatic situation that comes with a slew of emotions. You want a sexual assault attorney who can be your advocate. Kwartler Manus, LLC appreciates the courage it takes to come forward and take legal action after a sexual assault. You should start your healing process. You will want an attorney who:
- Believes you
- Protects your confidentiality
- Takes your assault seriously
- Considers the effects the situation has on you
- Treat you with dignity, respect, and honesty
- Guide you through your legal options without pressuring you into a settlement or trial
- Has experience with sexual assault cases
- Will handle your case communication
- Has experience with Uber and Lyft insurance companies
Most importantly, you want someone who is on your side and can protect you. Sexual assault is a traumatic and life-changing experience. You should work with counselors and therapists to manage your feelings and emotions. This is a part of the healing process. We can connect you with these resources while we work on your case.
Kwartler Manus, LLC can help
A sexual assault can lead to physical and emotional distress. You paid for a safe ride to your destination, but instead, you experienced a traumatic incident. You need an advocate in your corner to hold these parties responsible. We are here for you during this challenging time. Schedule a confidential consultation with our Philadelphia Uber/Lyft sexual assault attorney.