Philadelphia Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Helping Accident Victims Hold Irresponsible Drivers Accountable
Did you know that each year over 30 pedestrians and bicyclists lose their lives due to motor vehicle crashes, and 2,200 crashes result in injuries just in the city of Philadelphia? Most of these accidents take place in an intersection and occur due to improper transportation practices.
The city has spent millions of dollars in creating safer traffic patterns, routes, and laws to protect both recreational and commuter cyclists. However, it is vital for bicyclists to be aware of the dangers when cycling on the streets. Our bicycle accident lawyers in Philadelphia are committed to helping you get the compensation you need.
Pennsylvania Biking Laws
According to The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation cyclists are required to follow certain laws of the road to protect themselves while riding. These laws include:
- Follow all traffic law, such as stop signs and traffic lights
- Always ride with the flow of traffic
- Use hand signals to indicate which way you will be turning
- Riders under 12 must legally wear a helmet
Similarly, motor vehicles are required to follow specific traffic laws concerning cyclists. These laws include:
- A motor vehicle is prohibited from passing on the left-hand side of a cyclist making a left-hand turn
- When not making a left-hand turn, motor vehicle may pass cyclists but only if there is at least a four-foot clearance between the vehicle and the bike
Bicycle Safety Tips
Follow these safety tips when traveling by bike in Philadelphia:
- Follow the same rules of the road as a motorcyclist
- Always cycle in the SAME direction as traffic
- Stay at least 3 feet away from parked cars (to avoid sudden car door openings)
- Use hand signals before turning
- Avoid debris and irregularities in the road
- Move to the far right of traffic when your speed is slower than other vehicles
- Communicate verbally with pedestrians so they know you are there
- Always wear a Snell, ASTM, or ANSI- approved helmet
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
If you or a loved one find yourself in a bicycle accident, it is critical to get medical attention immediately. Some injuries may not show up immediately due to adrenaline, so even if you think you are fine, it is wise to see a physician anyways. At the scene of the accident, make sure you write down the information of all other drivers, motorists, cyclists, or pedestrians involved in the accident.
Take pictures if you can, and call Kwartler Manus, LLC for specific legal advice as soon as possible. One of our first steps will be to help you verify whether bicycle accidents and medical expenses are covered by your vehicle insurance plan.
Why Choose Kwartler Manus, LLC?
David E. Kwartler and Jason I. Manus both have extensive trial experience specializing in personal injury and have been specially designated as Super Lawyers for multiple consecutive years. We ensure to personally handle each case—we do not hand it off to an associate because our goal is to offer professional support and guidance for you during this entire process. As an injured bicyclist, you deserve compensation! We make sure to fight for you, and when We fight… We win!
Call Kwartler Manus, LLC at (267) 214-8608 for Philadelphia bicycle accident lawyers who are prepared to fight aggressively on your behalf! Consultations are always free!
If you need a lawyer take a peek at mines- Blue Ramon
These two gentlemen are sharks when it comes to getting you what you deserve.- TP
Professional, honest and very thorough.- Dennis Gibson
I couldn’t have gotten better service.- Tabitha Talley
I would recommend this law firm, Kwartler Manus, for anything.- Cynthia