Most often, those who are involved in slip and fall accidents believe it was a simple accident and that nothing can be done. The reality is that there were several circumstances that led up to your slip and fall accident. Once you begin to analyze the situation around you and look at how the accident occurred, you may come to realize that you were not at fault and that negligence by another party played a role. Do not expect the property owner to do the right thing, instead, contact a Philadelphia slip and fall attorney.
How do slip and fall accidents happen?
A slip and fall can happen for a number of reasons and at any moment. The most common causes of slip and fall accidents are:
- Wet floors
- Icy and untreated sidewalks
- Poorly lit stairwells
- Sidewalks or pavements that are cracked, broken, uneven, or raised
- Objects on the floor
- Unanchored mats or rugs
- Inadequate warning signs
These are just examples and there are a number of other reasons why a slip and fall can occur.
Who can be held responsible?
When it comes to liability, you might think that a slip and fall is your fault and nothing can be done. That is not the case, however, as there can be a responsible party whose negligent actions caused your injuries. Some of those parties may include landlords and property owners.
Steps to take after a slip and fall accident
The moments immediately following a slip and fall accident can be confusing but it is important to take the following steps to protect your rights and move your case forward:
- Documentation: You will need to take pictures and get contact information for anyone who witnessed the accident. This is often the most crucial step as evidence can quickly disappear and the condition that led to your injury can be cleaned up.
- Notify the owner: You will need to report the fall immediately as this will be critical for filing a claim. If this happened at a business they will file an official accident report detailing the incident.
- Medical attention: Whether you believe you are injured or not, it is important to seek a medical evaluation. The adrenaline may be clouding the true extent of your injuries. While some injuries may be minor others can be life-altering.
- Hire a slip and fall attorney in Philadelphia: You may not initially believe that your accident requires the assistance of an attorney, but it might. Philadelphia slip and fall lawyers offer free initial consultations to evaluate the circumstances of your case.
These steps are critical for your slip and fall case and you should seek legal guidance immediately after an accident.
What damages are available in slip and fall cases?
The goal of a Philadelphia slip and fall attorney is to obtain compensation on your behalf for some of the following:
- Compensation for past and future medical expenses related to the slip and fall
- Lost wages if you were unable to work as a result of the accident
- Compensation for lost future earning capacity
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Punitive damage
You will also be entitled to receive compensation for any out-of-pocket expenses, travel costs, court costs, and any other damages related to your individual claim. It is important to keep a copy of any receipts and bills you receive related to the accident and provide this to your Philadelphia slip and fall attorney.
Consider statutes of limitations
It is important to note that there is a statute of limitations for all personal injury cases and a slip and fall is no different. In Philadelphia, you will have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim. The timeline changes if you are filing against a government entity, as you will only have six months from the date of the accident. This is another reason why you need a slip and fall attorney in Philadelphia immediately.
Call Kwartler Manus LLC Today
The Philadelphia slip and fall attorneys from Kwartler Manus LLC are known to aggressively advocate for injury victims. Call us at (267) 457-5570 for a case evaluation today.