What to Do if You’ve been Injured as a Construction Worker

Construction workers are part of the backbone of this country and the city of Philadelphia. Without them, we wouldn’t see progress. There would be dilapidated buildings, empty lots, and a lot of broken items strewn about properties all over the city. Even though construction is one of the most important professions out there, it is also one of the most dangerous.

No matter how hard a construction worker tries to stay safe, he or she can’t avoid every single accident, especially those caused by someone else. We’ve compiled a list of the steps you should take if you find yourself injured in an accident as a construction worker:

Call 911

Depending on the severity of the injury, you should call 911 immediately after a construction accident. This brings firefighters, EMTs, and the police to your location. A 911 call should be placed for any of the following construction accident injuries:

  • Stuck in between equipment
  • Hit by a vehicle, piece of equipment, or falling object
  • You fell into a trench or hole
  • Electrocution
  • Amputation
  • Fall from heights
  • Impaled by an object

Notify a Supervisor

You should notify your supervisor as soon as possible about the accident. This should be done in writing, if at all possible, but if you were severely injured you should go to the hospital before doing anything else. There will be enough time in the following days to provide notice to your supervisor about the accident.

Collect Evidence

If you were not injured enough to go to the hospital right away, try to protect and collect evidence to aid your claim for workers’ compensation or a personal injury lawsuit. Take pictures of the area where you were injured, pictures of your injury, and debris from the scene. If there were hazards present that your superiors knew about, be sure to document them as well. If security cameras are located on the premises, request copies of the videos from the time your accident occurred.

Avoid Talking to Insurance Adjusters

Your employer might have an insurance adjuster contact you not long after you suffer the workplace injury. Do not speak to them under any circumstances. Insurance companies are in the business of paying out as little as possible when dealing with claims. Anything you discuss with the adjuster can hurt your chances of being compensated accordingly.

Speak to a Personal Injury Lawyer

Before talking to anyone about the construction accident, speak to a lawyer. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will be able to examine your case, review your injuries, and determine the amount of compensation you could be eligible for. Contact us online or by phone at (267) 457-5570 for a complimentary consultation to review your unique situation.

Related Posts
Put Us On Your Side

I confirm I want to opt-in and receive news and marketing communication.
Text Marketing Terms and Conditions: We are using a text messaging platform, which is subject to the following terms and conditions. By opting-in for our text marketing and notifications in, you agree to these terms and conditions. By entering your phone number, you agree that we may send you text notifications and text marketing. You acknowledge that consent is not a condition for any purchase. This data will be used for sending you targeted marketing messages and notifications. Upon sending the text messages, your phone number will be passed to a text messages operator to fulfill their delivery. If you wish to unsubscribe from receiving text marketing messages and notifications reply with STOP to any mobile message sent from us or use the unsubscribe link we provided you with in any of our messages. You understand and agree that alternative methods of opting out, such as using alternative words or requests will not be accounted as a reasonable means of opting out. Message and data rates may apply. For any questions please text "HELP" to the number you received the messages from. You can also contact us for more information. If you wish to opt out please follow the procedures above.