How Can I Hold an At-Fault Driver Accountable if They Don’t Have Enough Insurance?

Holding an underinsured driver liable for their negligent actions is tricky. While the person has insurance, it is not enough to cover your damages, leaving you wondering how you will ever pay for the excess bills. Since many underinsured and uninsured drivers are on the road, insurance companies have options available to drivers who suffer harm and loss from an accident with these irresponsible drivers. You can tap into several options depending on your policy and other factors. When you initially purchase your insurance policy, be sure that you check out every additional coverage option and pay the extra few dollars for the one you think works best for you.

Philadelphia has no-fault insurance

Pennsylvania is a no-fault car insurance state meaning that you can access your insurance policy to cover any car accident expenses and damage. Your policy will pay for your medical bills. It can sometimes be faster to go through your own insurance company instead of trying to fight with the other driver’s policy. However, while it is faster, that does not mean it is best in your particular circumstances. Before filing a claim, speak with a Philadelphia car accident lawyer from Kwartler Manus, LLC.

Underinsured motorist coverage

One of the other coverage options insurance companies offers drivers is underinsured motorist coverage. This option is intended to take over when the other driver has low policy limits, and they do not cover the expenses you incur from the accident. Pennsylvania does not require this option, but it is a great coverage option. Many Philly drivers do not have state minimum coverage or do not have insurance. Adding this option to your policy gives peace of mind that you are covered if you are involved in a Philadelphia car accident with an underinsured or uninsured driver.

UM coverage has one caveat; many policies will not allow drivers to have more than the current policy limit. So if you have $70,000 worth of liability coverage, this will also be the amount of coverage you have for an accident with an underinsured motorist. Also, remember that property damage and medical expense coverage are separate. So you can also add uninsured motorist property damage coverage depending on the insurance company. While these coverage options are available, not every insurance company works the same. Review your car insurance policy and discuss your legal options with a Philadelphia car accident attorney.

Your health insurance

In some instances, an injured driver will need to use their health insurance plan to pay for medical expenses after a car accident. Many accident victims do not want to use their health insurance policy due to the deductibles and restrictions. Unfortunately, when a driver does not have sufficient insurance coverage, this option becomes a reality. The alternative is to pay for these expenses out of pocket while your injury claim resolves. Tapping into your car or health insurance plan is never something you want to do after an accident. A Philadelphia personal injury attorney can offer advice on which policy to use and when after an accident with an underinsured motorist.

File a personal injury lawsuit

After an underinsured motorist accident, one final option is to file a lawsuit against the negligent driver. The one possible downside to filing a lawsuit against an underinsured driver is they do not have the assets or collateral to cover your expenses. It can take them the rest of their life to pay you for your medical expenses. However, this does not mean a lawsuit is unsuccessful. Each case varies, and you need an experienced attorney to decide which way to go after reviewing the details of your claim.

Can Kwartler Manus, LLC help?

The answer is, yes, Kwartler Manus, LLC can help hold an underinsured driver accountable for their negligence. We have experience handling underinsured motorists’ cases and know all of the strategies to use to get you the results you need. Use our contact form or call us at (267) 457-5570 today.

Related Posts
Put Us On Your Side

I confirm I want to opt-in and receive news and marketing communication.
Text Marketing Terms and Conditions: We are using a text messaging platform, which is subject to the following terms and conditions. By opting-in for our text marketing and notifications in, you agree to these terms and conditions. By entering your phone number, you agree that we may send you text notifications and text marketing. You acknowledge that consent is not a condition for any purchase. This data will be used for sending you targeted marketing messages and notifications. Upon sending the text messages, your phone number will be passed to a text messages operator to fulfill their delivery. If you wish to unsubscribe from receiving text marketing messages and notifications reply with STOP to any mobile message sent from us or use the unsubscribe link we provided you with in any of our messages. You understand and agree that alternative methods of opting out, such as using alternative words or requests will not be accounted as a reasonable means of opting out. Message and data rates may apply. For any questions please text "HELP" to the number you received the messages from. You can also contact us for more information. If you wish to opt out please follow the procedures above.