Rideshare companies, such as Uber and Lyft, have made a significant impact on the taxi industry by allowing for just about anyone to become a driver. With little background checks and relatively no training, it is not unlikely for rideshare accidents to occur. As rideshare services become more popular as a means of transportation, the number of accidents involving them has also increased.
A study by the University of Chicago Booth School of Business found there was an increase in traffic deaths by 2-3% since 2011 correlating to rideshare accidents. That percentage is equivalent to over 1,000 fatalities per year. Whereas, Uber’s 2019 U.S. Safety Report notes that there were more than 36,000 fatal car accidents involving their services in 2018 alone.
The accidents involving these rideshare companies can be attributed in large part to the nature of the business. Many rideshare drivers work part-time as the only income source or supplemental income, and they can be quite aggressive in trying to get fares. The desire to collect as many fares as possible in a given time leads many rideshare drivers to behave in negligent and unsafe ways. In urban areas like Philadelphia, this presents quite a problem.
Some reasons for an increase in these types of accidents include:
- Distracted driving due to the drivers relying on the phone application for directions to obtain new riders,
- Rideshare drivers will stop on the street wherever the GPS tells them to rather than in a safe area,
- Rushing to finish their current fares or pick up new fares leading to speeding and other aggressive tactics that also lead to accidents,
- The rideshare driver’s failure to properly maintain his/her personal service vehicle,
- Additional causes include lack of sleep, negligence while driving, and driving while intoxicated
How can the Personal Injury Attorneys at Kwartler Manus Help?
Our Philadelphia-based personal injury firm has extensive experience in pursuing Rideshare accident cases. If you have been injured in a rideshare accident, contact our office online or by phone at (267) 457-5570. Our knowledgeable associates will be able to discuss the details of your situation, help you determine who was at fault, and assist you with recovering compensation for your injuries.