Since Horizon Pharmaceuticals did not adequately test Tepezza or even give warnings about the hearing issues this medication causes, you may be eligible for compensation in a Tepezza injury lawsuit. If you are interested in filing a lawsuit, you will need to prove that you took at least one Tepezza injection for Thyroid Eye Disease and that you have hearing loss or impairments as a result of taking this injection.
In this article, Kwartler Manus will explain what Tepezza is and the types of compensation you can recover in a Tepezza lawsuit.
What Is Tepezza?
Tepezza is the first medication approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat Thyroid Eye Disease, a rare disorder that affects the immune system. Patients who have Thyroid Eye Disease usually have eye issues such as dry eyes, puffy eyes, red eyes, watery eyes, and more. When the first FDA-approved drug was released in 2020, doctors began administering it to relieve people’s symptoms.
This medication is given as a series of injections that typically takes 60-90 minutes each session. Most patients receive an injection every three weeks. Horizon Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer of Tepezza, warned its consumers about the following side effects associated with taking this medication:
- Stomach aches or abdominal cramps
- Muscle spasms
- Hair loss
- Change in taste
- Change in blood sugar levels
- Weight loss
- Dry skin
Tepezza Injury Lawsuits in the United States
Even though Horizon Pharmaceuticals informed patients and physicians about the side effects that may arise after taking Tepezza, there were several side effects that they left out or did not take the time to become informed about. This has led to thousands of lawsuits emerging around the United States claiming that patients now have hearing loss, tinnitus, and other hearing impairments after receiving at least one Tepezza injection.
The Endocrine Society conducted a study on 26 patients who took Tepezza injections. The results of the study indicated that this medication leads to hearing issues. Here are the different hearing issues experienced by the participants:
- 12 percent stated that their ears felt clogged or plugged
- 23 percent had subjective hearing loss
- 27 percent had ringing of the ears, or a condition called Tinnitus
- 29 percent stated that they could hear their own voice very loudly, which is a condition called autophony
- 65 percent had otologic symptoms
In the summer of 2022, the first lawsuit was filed against Horizon Pharmaceuticals. The claim stated that a man from Illinois experienced permanent hearing loss after taking Tepezza for his Thyroid Eye Disease. His doctors were not aware of the hearing risks associated with these injections, so he received his first Tepezza injection in 2020. Since then, many patients have experienced the same issue, which has led to several legal battles involving patients and Horizon Pharmaceuticals.
What Type of Compensation Can You Recover in a Tepezza Lawsuit?
Depending on the types of damages you have experienced from taking Tepezza, you may be able to get compensation to cover economic damages or non-economic damages. It is important that you know the difference, which we will explain below.
- Economic Damages: If you get compensation to cover economic damages, this will include medical bills, lost wages, hearing tests, hearing aids, surgeries, therapy, home modifications, daily expenses, hired services, and more. This type of compensation covers the financial damages that can be objectively measured.
- Non-economic damages: It is not out of the ordinary for clients to receive compensation to cover non-economic damages as well. These are damages that cannot be objectively measured and typically include physical pain, mental and emotional suffering, loss of quality of life, loss of companionship, and more.
Contact Kwartler Manus LLC to File a Tepezza Injury Lawsuit
Individuals who have suffered from any hearing side effects after taking Tepezza may be able to obtain compensation for their injuries. Kwartler Manus will guide you through the process and explain everything you need to know when it comes to this type of lawsuit. Give us a call at (267) 457-5570 or fill out our contact form by clicking here.