Through its advertising, Merck sold parents on the idea that Gardasil is a safe and effective tool to stop the spread of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and prevent various forms of cancer in young adults.In September 2020, a California man filed a lawsuit against Merck, the manufacturers of the Gardasil HPV vaccine, after the development of life-altering injuries following vaccination. The lawsuit claims that after receiving the vaccination in 2012, at the age of 16, Zachariah Otto’s health steadily declined in the years that followed.Numerous serious and debilitating complications of the Gardasil vaccination received by the plaintiff include:
- Chronic joint pain,
- Abnormal gait,
- Extreme weight loss,
- Chronic fatigue,
- Gastrointestinal issues,
- Memory loss and cognitive issues,
- Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS),
- and the inability to walk a significant distance without the use of a cane.
As a result, unable to engage in normal activities enjoyed by young adults. Due to the severity of his illnesses, Mr. Otto dropped out of college and could no longer work, and now, at the age of twenty-four, he is permanently disabled living with his mother as his primary caregiver.
What is Gardasil?
From its introduction to the market, Gardasil has been considered a “miracle vaccination” for being able to prevent all of the illnesses directly connected to contracting HPV in children and teens although they were not yet sexually active.Gardasil is a vaccination designed to protect against the Human Papillomavirus (HPV), which is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the United States. Not only are HPV infections hard to detect once contracted, but these infections also will not go away on their own and can lead to the following health complications later in life:
- Cervical Cancer
- Vaginal Cancer
- Vulvar Cancer
- Penile Cancer
- Throat Cancer
- Anal Cancer
- Genital Warts
What is not commonly shared from the manufacturer of Gardasil, Merck, are the serious adverse side-effects that are being reported as a result. Unfortunately, there have been some children and teenagers who later experienced systemic autoimmune dysregulation and problems with their nervous system, including postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS). In addition, recent studies have begun to show that the vaccine may not be effective in preventing cervical cancer in women.Yet, The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) continues to recommend the Gardasil vaccination for all boys and girls at the ages of 11 and 12.
Safety and Efficacy of Gardasil
Merck had distributed 23 million doses of Gardasil at the time of the study, and reported adverse effects to include:
- Local injection site reactions
- Syncope (temporary loss of consciousness)
- Headaches and dizziness
- Allergic reactions
- Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)
- Transverse myelitis (inflammation of the spinal cord)
- Motor neuron disease
- Venous thromboembolic events (VTEs or blood clots)
- Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Autoimmune disorders
While rare, these adverse side-effects are never acceptable. Doctors only give vaccines when they feel the benefits outweigh the risks. But, when manufacturers like Merck fail to provide the public with all their study information, people get hurt.
Why was the lawsuit filed against Merck?
The complaint accuses Merck of knowingly and recklessly placing the profits from Gardasil ahead of patient safety. Amongst other allegations, the lawsuit filed in California accuses Merck of:
- Misleading regulators and the medical community about the safety and efficacy of the Gardasil HPV vaccination
- Knowingly concealing risks associated with Gardasil’s ingredients, which include a potent neurotoxin and potentially hazardous DNA particles
- Merck knew or had reason to believe that its vaccination was defective or ineffective, but continued to assure the medical community and the public that it was safe and effective
- Presented misleading information, while seeking fast-tracked approval, to the FDA suggesting that HPV infections and some abnormal cervical tissue will result in cancer
- During clinical trials, Merck did not use a true placebo. Instead, they used some of the vaccination’s additives resulting in an equal number of trial subjects suffering from adverse reactions
- Gardasil has more reported injuries than any other vaccine on the market and despite these injuries, continues to be the most expensive vaccination currently on the market.
How can Kwartler Manus Help?
Our firm is against intentional efforts to mislead consumers about the safety and efficacy of a drug or vaccination. We aggressively fight for the rights of consumers to be honestly informed about the risks and benefits associated with any drugs, vaccinations, chemicals or medical devices.
If you or your child experienced an adverse event after receiving the Gardasil vaccine, Kwartler Manus, LLC is here for you. We want to help you recover compensation from Merck because we believe in holding these kinds of manufacturers accountable.